Wednesday 1 March 2017

An Interview with a Mumprenuer

 What made you decide that this is the path that you should go?
As a modern day mother, there is no choice but to go to work to bring home some income for the family but we always want to spend time with our children. So there is always this dilemma. If there is an option of earning an income that allows you to spend more time with your children, will you take it up?

I have only worked in the corporate world for 4 years, 9-5 job is not for me because I believe I can earn more than the pay I am allocated. However, setting up a business is not as easy as we think. There is a lot more that we need to consider and handle such as marketing, sales, logistics, employees, the burden of it being a one-man show and also the risk of losing any personal asset(s).

Then, I became a self-employed under my husband in the sales profession. It was a good few years, we were earning good money, even though the lifestyle is work, meaning I work Mondays-Sundays, till late hours. But once I had children my priorities changed. I realized that this lifestyle did not suit me anymore. I needed to make time for my girls who are currently 2 and 3 years old. I do not want to miss any of their milestones and thus needed to search for another way to earn an income - A business that can earn me residual income.

The normal 8-5 job gives us a temporary active income. When we are still young and able, it’s all good, but what if one day *touch wood* you are unable to earn that income (retrenched, midlife crisis, illness)? For example, in your 40’s you get retrenched because your market value has already been reduced. Because given the same pay by then, your company can employ many younger ones for the same value.. what would you do then?

Initially this job will not give much, but if you really put in an effort and believe that you will be able to be successful, this job will give you a passive residual income in time to come. Imagine life in 10, 20, 30 years’ time.. do you want to continue slogging for an income, living paycheck to paycheck?

I do this because I want to spend as much time with my children, with my family, and earn a passive residual income.

I do this because I don’t want to face the risk of retrenchment, or the risk of losing money of actually owning a business.

  Becoming your own boss, will it not mean that you will become a workaholic, thus defeating the purpose of your original plan to spend more time with your family?
As this is an online business, there is no constraint on location, timing. Online means going onto online platforms like Facebook, which is the only platform I use. There is thus the flexibility of planning out my own day. Initially, there might be a need to spend more time on the business to get it up and running. But end of the day is time management and discipline.

Being employed for so long we are used to given tasks to do. But being your own boss, you need to plan your day very well, incorporate your family/children timing, work around that. Initially you might have some problem planning your time but I will help you with that, soon you will get the hang of it.

What is your Business all about and what makes this Business unique, sustainable in long term? What if in future, the market is saturated with businesses similar to yours, what then?
My business type is known as a network marketing business.

What makes this business unique: It is online, through social media. Everything is via facebook, even training, recruitment etc. Thus, I can do my business anytime and anywhere. It is definitely sustainable in long run.

This business is about seeking to help people improve their lives and health. The bigger your team, the bigger your income, hence if the market is saturated, it is definitely not a problem.

 As you said during our meeting, “Mumprenuers” are on the rise, what do you think will happen when this market is saturated? Will your business still be sustainable?
If I can encourage more mummies to join me, that will be excellent. To encourage more mummies to spend more time with their children and earn the income that they want. In the long run, it is a win-win situation. This business is about seeking to help people improve their lives and health. The bigger your team, the bigger your income, hence if the market is saturated, it is definitely not a problem.

 Can you describe what a normal day is like for you?
My schedule:
My daughters have their school in the afternoon. So I will wake up 1 hour earlier to plan the day and spend 15mins on self-development, another 10 on gratitude journalling and then planning my day. I will then spend around 2 hours with my children before sending them to school. While they are at school, I will focus on income producing activities for the 5-6 hours (i.e. posting on Facebook, communicating to my private community)

Anything else that you would like us to know about your work?
Don’t quit your day job if you were to start this business. Start this as a side income first to get the ball rolling, to see if this is the right fit for you. 

Fin.

What questions do you have, should you have an opportunity to speak with a mumprenuer? Leave a comment!😊

No comments:

Post a Comment